|To the Men and Officers: 191st
Field Artillery Battalion:
This record, which each of you helped to
write, sets forth briefly the part that your organization has played since
its beginning. Your work and struggles, your self-denial and exposure to
danger and to hardship have made possible the accomplishments during the
ten months of combat, which contributed in no small measure to the defeat
of our enemy.
MACK A. GODDARD
Lt Col FA
|In January 1940, The War Department
allocated an additional artillery regiment in the State of Tennessee. This
regiment was designated the 191st Field Artillery (GHQ). Later the
regiment was re-designated as Seventh Army Corps Troops.
Colonel Harry S. Berry, WPA Administrator for Tennessee, was chosen to command this new regiment of 155mm Howitzers. A graduate of the West Point Class of 1904, he organized and commanded the 115th Field Artillery on the Mexican border and in France from 1916 to 1918.
Colonel Berry’s staff was secured from Nashville and vicinity and on 20 February 1940 the regiment had the required number of units and personnel to receive Federal recognition and was inducted into the National Guard of the United States on this date. The twelve batteries, medical detachment, and band were located in Middle and East Tennessee in the following cities: Knoxville, Maryville, Clinton, Kingsport, Greeneville,. Winchester, Pulaski, and Shelbyville. Five batteries of the 115th Field Artillery were re-designated 191st Field Artillery. One company, 105th Q. M., and one company, 117th Infantry, were re-designated 191st Field Artillery. Five new batteries were organized in addition to the band. This completed the organization of the regiment.
On 4 August 1940 the regiment was called out for three weeks field training to participate in the War Games being held in Mississippi and Louisiana. At this time the regiment remained at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, due to shortage of equipment and did not participate in the Louisiana phase of the Maneuvers. Although greatly handicapped by lack of equipment and its short existence, the regiment made a very creditable impression.
|On February 24, 1941, one year after its organization, the 191st Field Artillery was mobilized and inducted into the Army of the United States. The regiment now became a unit of the 75th F. A. Brigade, along with the 181st Field Artillery of Tennessee and the 168th Field Artillery of Colorado. Upon completion of the organization and induction period at home stations, the Regiment on March 4, 1941, moved into its new home at Camp Forrest, Tennessee. Upon arrival at Camp Forrest, the regiment underwent a reorganization to conform to new Tables of Organization, and immediately began an extensive training program. At the completion of its first thirteen weeks of training, the regiment underwent a very grueling test inspection by Headquarters Seventh Army Corps and came through with flying colors.|
|The first allotment of Selectees,
numbering six hundred and seventy-seven was received by the regiment on
June 28, 1941. This brought on the task of training these new men, who
composed fifty-five percent the strength of the regiment, before
Arkansas-Louisiana War Games, in August and September. On August 14, 1941
the Regiment en-trucked for Arkansas to participate in the 1argest scale
maneuvers ever held in the United States up to that time. Throughout the
eight weeks of these War Games the men of the 191st Field Artillery carved
a name for itself. The Regiment received a letter of commendation from
Lieutenant General Ben Lear during the Maneuvers, of which it is very
"With the fine esprit de corps and high state of morale which prevails in the regiment, it is destined for a high place in the History of the Army of the United States."
Colonel George D. Wahl assumed command of the 191st Field Artillery Regiment on December 19, 1941, and the Regiment moved from Camp Forrest on the 20th. The new station at East Garrison, Camp Roberts, California, was reached on the 26th.
The early months of 1942 were spent in defense of the West Coast against any would-be aggressor, and in securing additional. equipment.
During the latter part of June, "C" Battery of the 1st Battalion was sent to Desert Training Center, California, to test materiel and personnel under desert training conditions for a period of about a month.
The Regiment took part in Desert Maneuvers in California on August 13, 1942 and after the completion of the Maneuvers October 12th, arrived back in Camp Roberts for additional training.