This church was organized in the 1820s with services held in
a log building until 1902. The Methodists were not as
numerous as the dominant Baptists here, and often depended
on a circuit riding preacher. Another church, Hopewell
Methodist, is marked only by a cemetery today.
This structure and its furnishings were reportedly the work
of one man. J. D. McCampbell, a blacksmith and carpenter,
built it in 115 days of $115. Afterward, he became its
preacher for many years.
Ladies and children entered through the left door, and men
through the right one. A divider separated the two groups,
causing frustration among courting couples.