Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Loop Tour:  <<< Back One Page  |  Next Page >>>  
These points of interest appear in the order of the trip you will take around the Loop Road
01 Sparks Lane 02 John Oliver Place 03 Primitive Baptist Church 04 Methodist Church 05 Hyatt Lane 06 Missionary Baptist Church  07 Rich Mountain Road 08 Cooper Road Trail 09 Elijah Oliver Place 10 Abrams Falls 11 Cable Mill Area 12 Henry Whitehead Place 13 Nature Trail  14 Dan Lawson Place 15 Tipton Place 16 Carter Shields Cabin.

BACK TO LOOP


 
   
 

John Oliver Place

 
 

The Oliver's bought land in the Cove in 1826 and this cabin site remained in the family until the Park was established. The house is typical of many found on the eastern frontier in the mid-1850s, and reflects the skills and techniques brought into the mountains by descendants of British and European immigrants. Members of the family lived there until the Smoky Mountains National Park was under development.

The round logs were scored first along their length with a felling axe, then hewn with a broad axe. The notched corners need no pegs or nails, as gravity locks them together. Chinks (open spaces between the logs) were filled with mud to seal out wind and rain. The stone chimney was laid in mud mortar. Windows and doors are typically small, to conserve heat, and maintain the strength of the building. Split wooden shingles, the most common material used here, cover the roof. The materials to build this house are growing or lying all around you.

Privacy in the home was rare. Life centered in the main room. Children were welcomed. The more kids, the lighter the farm work. Older folk lived here, too. A head count of ten to twelve under one roof was not unusual. The home was a business, school, hospital, orphanage, nursing home and poor house.

 
     
 

John married Lurena Frazier and they lived in a cabin about 50 yards from the cabin the now standing there. John Oliver was born in 1793 and died in 1864. John and his wife Lurena are buried at the Cades Cove Primitive Baptist Church

 
     
 

John Oliver, a European immigrant, built this cabin c. 1818. It is accessed via a 10-minute uphill stroll from the Loop Road. Oliver was the first white settler in Cades Cove

 
     
 
 
 

Submitted Photographs
Click Thumbnails for Enlargements

 
     
 

 

 
     

John Oliver Place - Cades Cove

Photo by Chuck Tipton